How to Ensure Your Kid's Safety at Home by Childproofing?Child Safety
Childproofing refers to the precautions and safety measures taken to ensure safety for kids, especially young ones. The important places to be childproofed includes home, play areas, day-cares and so on. However mishaps can still occur. So its important to be prepared and to act wisely rather than loosing mind.
Why childproofing is needed?
Young children are so much of enthusiasm and energy and they tend to explore their new world each day, every moment. Every new thing that comes across their way is a source for enchantment. In such a situation its important to safeguard them as they are prone to accidents. The most important thing is to childproof your house and kid's play area. Even if the home is childproofed, it only takes an instant for them to fall or put their fingers into plug sockets or run over to a hot material or put some wrong thing in their mouths. Watchfulness is the best way for prevention.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the common causes for most home accidents are fire
and burns, suffocation, drowning, choking, falls, poisoning, and firearms.
How childproofing can be done?
Keep an eye on what your kid is doing.
The most cases where accidents occurs are:
- Drowning - Extreme care has to be taken when there is water stored in buckets in bathroom or kitchen, bath tubs, water tanks, drainage holes, swimming pools. Lock the doors to prevent easy access for kids.
- Fall - Kids can fall from furniture, slippery floors, stair-case, bathrooms, windows. Its ideal to install safety gates at stairs and where ever needed.
- Poisoning - Poisonous substances stored at home(eg: for cleaning or pest controllers) should be placed where kids hands doesn’t reach.
- Choking - Small parts of any toys or any other materials when taken to mouth might cause choking. Choose their toys carefully.
- Fire and Burns - Hot vessels, Iron box, stove, gas cylinders should be handled very carefully.
- Electric Shock - Plug points or switch-boards that can be easily accessed by kids have to be taken care of. You can plug in an insulated cover when not in use.
- Medicines have to be kept safe and away from kids.
- Place a child tracking device, to monitor your child's location when you are not around. RF (Radio Frequency) or GPS devices are available.
Keep the following things ready, in case if an emergency happens.
- Make a first-aid kit and keep the instructions inside it.
- Keep the important phone numbers near the phone. It can include your doctor's or parents cell phone numbers.
- Instruct the care-taker or baby-sitter about what has to be done in emergencies. It may happen when you are out.
In any case, its important for parents to be prepared, not to lose heart and act wisely.